Our story

Not far from Rødekro is a town called Aabenraa – In 1649, the county gave the man of Aabenraa named von Winterfeldt, his gunner Nis permission to build a new krobygning by Bridge over Rødeå and loaned him money there.

The bridge, Rødebro, have probably had some strategic importance Hærvejen, and therefore it was a natural place to build an inn.

As fate would have it, the county’s unmarried cook waited a happy event – it gave parikel opposite the parish priest, when the girl would not give the name of the father. Nis married girl, so everything worked out.

The inn was naturally the name Red-Inn.

In 1685 happens a murder at the inn. At a wedding was a man named Peter Lassen from Skrydstrup killed by Peter Hørlyk. The only eyewitness was a Maren His daughter, who at the wedding had been in “Pisselen” while there was uproar in the bridal chamber. When she rushed in there, she had seen Peter Hørlyk lash out at Peter Lassen, which sank on while he groaned, “I’m stuck.”

Peter Hørlyk ended up at the gallows on Mjøls Mark.

Several who from time to time’ve been at the inn, you can tell about strange noises at night – creaking as the doors are not lubricated and floorboards walked easily, and the explanation for this is probably that it is Peter Hørlyks restless soul who shall visit.

The next time we hear about the inn in 1740, where it is owned by the bailiff Andreas Lund from Rødding. At present belongs to a part of land to the inn, but the main income comes from kroholdet.

Kroejerne, however, endeavor to cultivate heath land during this period.

Andreas Lund also had big problems with the inn’s supplies of beer and spirits, the citizens of Aabenraa had a monopoly. They guarded jealously their rights and oversaw Andreas Lund, actually both could brew and burn.

It is in his time first time we hear that the inn is named after Rothe Brück – Rother Krug (Red-Inn).

In the year 1764 sold the inn to Christian Hansen Møller from Blans Mill, and in the reports from his time we hear little about contemporary leather jackets that raged bad about the inn and harassed the travelers who used the Ancient Road. When the Duke of Württemberg in March 1784 were from Haderslev in southern climates, he and all his companions bothered by the young men who stayed at the Red Inn. He was directly blackmailed big money, and it came a lawsuit from. In the statement of claim to the Prefect in Aabenraa, high and well carried von Schmettow, designated the young men as worse than “die Banditten in them Bekannten Italy”

Christian Hansen Møller deliver in 1804 the inn to his son Christian Møller, who died in 1812. He left behind a son (8 years) who in 1829 took over the inn after her mother.

This son is the later Christian Hansen Møller, who is best known as the Counsellor Moller. This instituted a scholarship, which Rise parish reaped the benefit.

In 1844 sells Christian Moller to Jacob Wohlenberg from Holstein for 5000 Rdl. with half the payment.

In 1854 travels Jacob Wohlenberg and his wife Dorothea to the US to visit five of their ten children. Wohlenbergs son Jacob Friedrich Thomas Wohlenberg assumes the inn for 6400 Rdl.

In Wohlenbergernes time it went great national upheaval across South Jutland, and Red-Kros owners have undoubtedly been pro-German. In the last Wohlenbergske time dawned a new golden age for the inn, the nordschlesvigske length track as was completed and a railway station was built in the inn’s vicinity.

Wohlenberg sell the inn to the brothers steenholdt from Ravsted who are sons of the German-minded Thies steenholdt, for 3900 Mark.

Wine merchant H. V. Andresen, Flensburg, buy the inn 1881 2600 Mark.

Wine merchant sold in 1895 the inn for Carl Petersen. The inn was in those years a familiar concept with great search from both local and especially from that time many traveling salesmen who used the trains and made the stay at the inn.

Carl Petersen’s widow sold in 1923 to Margaret and Jens Hansen, who came from Hjordkær where they had also run inn. As fate would however Jens Christian Hansen died 14 days after his son, Marius Hansen took over the operation of the Red-Inn.

Marius Hansen was in 1928 married Anna Helena Petersen and together they had two daughters, Elke and Maiken.

At the time, the inn surrounded by fields where there was farming. Marius Hansen, who was a farmer hired a young man to control the operation of the farm while he tried to drive inn. He was ultimately farmer in the heart and eventually took over himself again agriculture, while the inn was leased out until his death in 1979th

There was the “cause” of his death organized a scheme for his widow, so that she was guaranteed residence at the inn until his death.

The inn has over the years the house both the grocery store, bank, dentist and union office. And during the 2nd World War, the inn’s rooms used to house the soldiers who were in the area.

After Marius Hansen’s death in 1979 continues Anna Hansen to lease the inn out while she tries to sell it.

In 1990 she sold Rode-Kro to Henning Jørgensen, with the understanding that she had a life tenancy. She stayed at the inn until 1991, when she at the age of 90 years came in nursing homes.

After a thorough renovation which was built a new wing, a new smaller hall, tap room and new toilets, opened the inn again.

In 2003 built a new contemporary kitchen, with a cellar and the required freezing and refrigeration facilities. In 2006 was built nine new rooms upstairs kitchen department, and in 2009 was made a new bar in the premises that before housed a dentist. The inn has over the years hosted many different businesses of various kinds with the dentist as the last.

Red-Kro I / S is a family-run company where Ketty & Henning Jørgensen, after staying at the inn, today lives in the area, while their son and daughter-in Winnie & Erik Jorgensen, live on Red-Inn with their two sons, Alexander and Hjalte, which is great grandchildren of Anna and Marius Hansen.

The Inn has just undergone the last thorough renovation where the restaurant – the heart – has been under loving care. Given the inn’s soul has been renovated, so the old coaching at Hærvejen included with into the 21st century.